Re: MARID back from the grave?

2005-02-26 22:37:34

On Feb 27, 2005, at 12:22 AM, Christian Huitema wrote:

In fact, we only have two points of contentions: old personal drafts
submitted as version 00 of WG drafts; and old WG drafts submitted as
version 00 of new personal drafts.

The first scenario is easily taken care off by granting an exemption for
the cut off date. The secretariat is already supposed to ask WG chair
approval for WG drafts, and WG drafts almost never are "first drafts";
we could easily tell the secretariat that WG drafts are subject to the
same deadline as version N+1 drafts.

makes sense.

(we could even adopt a rule that says that WG drafts shall not be -00 drafts - IMHO WGs should always see the first draft of something before they decide to adopt it)

The second scenario requires being a little bit more proactive. Keeping
the version number while changing the prefix is probably a good idea.

and if the author doesn't ask to keep the old version number when he changes the filename, he gets stuck with the earlier deadline.

Keith