Re: Last Call: 'Message Submission' to Draft Standard

2005-03-06 13:16:48
On Fri March 4 2005 19:16, John C Klensin wrote:
I can't remember all of the
reasons why it was rejected, but at least one of them was that
we didn't want to put unreasonable burdens on clients.

As separately detailed, there are no burdens placed on any
clients; a client would not be required to implement recognition
of the proposed ESMTP keyword(s).  In the absence of any
client implementation (or if implemented but ignored) the
submit server would be free to make modifications as is now
the case by virtue of the administrator whispering "this is
a submit server" inside an anechoic chamber.  The difference
is that there would be a provision which would provide a
clear differentiation of a submit server from an MTA; a
differentiation which has been claimed to exist but which
can be found nowhere in RFC 2476 or its draft successor.

At this
stage, you are talking about what would, in essence, be a whole
new protocol design.

No, it's merely an ESMTP keyword.  It provides a "deterministic
means" of identifying a submission server; that was the intent
of the ESMTP keyword -- additional verbs provide for control
of munging by client-server negotiation which arose later in
our dialog.

For that, I think you are going to need
both a draft (not an email note with an outline of what you
would like to see in principle) and a compelling reason to undo
or change what, operationally, does not appear to be broken.

As discussed, the "deterministic means" claimed in the draft
for identifying submission seems to be lacking (a.k.a. "broken").

I have no problem in developing either a draft or text that
could be incorporated in a future revision of the draft
under discussion (I note that a -01 version has already
been produced).  If separate from the 2476 successor, that
should probably happen in an IETF WG, but I see no active
WG for such work.