Re: Why?

2005-03-11 21:33:05
But we have already seen several major corporations publicly indicate that they intend to use NAT with IPv6, even though they can get enough public address space.

we need to give them a clear message that IPv6 was not meant to be used in this way, that IPv6 is intended to support a wider range of applications than is possible with IPv4+NAT, and that IPv6 applications cannot be expected to work in the presence of NATs. if people want to build dysfunctional networks, that's their own business - there are no standards police that I know of. but our job is to describe the necessary and sufficient conditions for interoperability. and a necessary condition for interoperability in the v6 world (really in the v4 world also) is the absence of NAT.