Re: Why?

2005-03-13 05:11:45
    > From: Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>

    > if one of your constraints is scalability and the other is
    > deployability, you generally want to optimize for deployability
    > first. ... it's easier to deploy first and make incremental
    > modifications for scalability than it is to do the opposite.

<Image of JNC rolling eyes...>

Keith, that's *exactly* the thinking that got us NAT to begin with!

I mean, we went through a long series of scalability "upgrades"; first to
A/B/C, then subnets, then CIDR, but eventually we just couldn't get any
more s*&^ in the 5-pound sack.

That's when the lack of any *real* scalability (the kind you put in the
*architecture* to begin with) brought us your favourite kludge.

So, yeah, it *is* easier to deploy first and then later make incremental
modifications for scalability - if you like NAT.

        Noel