Re: Why?

2005-03-14 03:30:05
Michel Py wrote:
Terry Gray wrote:
Keith,
Quick note from the peanut gallery:  I believe your vision is
only achievable if the address allocation policies for v6 are
such that every man/woman/child and enterprise can obtain an
"ample" amount of provider-independent v6 space (or some number
of address bits that the enterprise can *own*). If people feel
like they are held hostage to others for the operation of their
internal enterprise (or home!) networks, you can take it to the
bank that v6 NAT will become just as pervasive and entrenched
as v4 NAT is.

This is precisely why I have stated earlier that v6 NAT is unavoidable:
'every man/woman/child and enterprise can obtain an "ample"
amount of provider-independent v6 space'

Catch is we don't know how to make this scalable. We have tried for 10
years and we still don't.

Well, we could continue to rehearse these arguments for a while longer.
(Don't want to insult anybody, but I haven't seen anything in this
thread that I haven't seen many times before, including the absence
of scalable routing for PI space.)

Alternatively, people could contribute constructively to relevant
IETF activities

- behave, which is trying to codify NAT behavior such that NAT would
  become easier to deal with when we *have* to deal with it

- v6ops, and specifically draft-vandevelde-v6ops-nap-01.txt*, which
  is trying to show how to deploy IPv6 without any need for NAT

- shim6, which will define how to solve at least one of the problems
  in this area

*truth in advertising: I am a co-author of this draft.

    Brian