Re: reflections from the trenches of ietf62 wireless

2005-03-15 12:12:42

On Mar 15, 2005, at 9:08, Odonoghue, Karen F CIV B35-Branch wrote:

I distinctly remember
sitting in the health club hot tub at the end of IETF58 swearing
I would never do the wireless again.

well... call me old fashioned - I appreciate those good
folks who go forth and try and give us an environment
that lets us do good things. Since we tend to demand
at least current stuff, we will get new loads, new features,
-every time- and the presures of pulling this together
on short notice is fraught w/ soft-spots.

i'd like to speak a bit wrt "production" and "experimental"
in the context of network stability. I'd encourage folks
who need "production" levels of service should buy the
same from the venue. Perhaps I am showing my age,
but i remember that there are/were only three IETFs per
year because the fourth slot was ear-marked for live
testing (Dan Lynch's Interops) ... and over the years
we have had new/experimental code/features crop up
on the IETF network as a matter of course.

) multicast
) ipsec
) vpns
) OE (thanks Michael)

and others that i am forgetting right now. that said, i'd
really like to tweek the IETF network in the next couple
of mtgs to allow a subset of us to test out our expectations
and implementations while we are f2f. And having a
supported and appreciated NOC/network staff is critical
for this to work.

so - again - thanks for your hard work. we could not
do this w/o you.

--bill

Karen O'Donoghue