RE: reflections from the trenches of ietf62 wireless

2005-03-17 08:54:38
Odonoghue, Karen F wrote:
-  We did not deploy anything new or experimental. We
deployed what we had available. In the case of the
wireless, the alternative was about a dozen Cisco 350s
the secretariat had stashed away in case of emergency.

FWIW: Those 350s were provided after a similar bad experience specifically
so there would be consistent and stable equipment available. The fact that
they are considered 'emergency' at this point shows that in fact people do
expect new features from the equipment, overly a fairly short period of
time. Any discussion about acquiring new equipment needs to consider the
replacement costs to keep it up with expectations. Given the state of
evolution for 802.11 equipment this means annual refresh until things settle
down.

I do appreciate the effort of the volunteer team. I was a mostly happy user
of the A channels, with the only issue being that I had to tunnel IPv6.

Tony