Re: IETF onsite networks; discussion, cash, knowledge

2005-03-19 09:15:33

--On Friday, 18 March, 2005 22:13 +0200 Pekka Savola
<pekkas(_at_)netcore(_dot_)fi> wrote:

A constructive suggestion:

We should only provide power sockets and a switch port in the
terminal room.  Scrap everything else.  No computers, no
printers, nothing. Simple and easy.  No need for a guard to
stand by.

Why do we need anything more?  Just so that the IETF tourists
can read their email?  Doesn't seem worth the trouble.

Pekka,

While I've suggested scrapping the terminals in the terminal
room on and off for years, I'd be reluctant to give up on the
printers.  Perhaps it is a sign of advancing age, but, when a
document gets above some length or level of complexity, I simply
have to have it on paper that I can flip through and mark up in
order to make sense of it.  I don't use the printers very much
-- I print and bring documents that are available significantly
before IETF with me-- but, when I need them for, e.g., a
document generated during the meeting, it is extremely useful,
indeed necessary, to have them there.  And, yes, I could drag a
portable printer to IETF meetings if I had to, but that seems,
at best, inefficient.

It is also important to have the wired Ethernet there unless we
have a 100% guarantee that the wireless will work smoothly and
efficiently, all of the time.  We aren't there yet, even at
"good" meetings.  And, while we could think about security
enclosures (themselves neither cheap nor light to ship around),
we probably need the guard in most locations as soon as we start
providing either power strips or Ethernet switches.   Sad, but I
think we have had experience that confirms that impression.

     john