Re: IETF onsite networks; discussion, cash, knowledge

2005-03-19 11:07:36
Mmm.. My message appears to have bene misunderstood. Perhaps I was too terse.. Inline.

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
Thus spake "Pekka Savola" <pekkas(_at_)netcore(_dot_)fi>
I agree that the wired drops in each room are probably more trouble
than they're worth, especially considering the fact that the jabber
scribes and other important people (excluding the chairs) are
typically littered all over the room.

If wired drops are to be eliminated (and I don't oppose that), then the
wireless network reliability needs to be improved to the level of wired
connections.

I was speaking of the suggested wired drops at the meeting rooms (which we have never had), not in the terminal room, so this should not be an issue.

We should only provide power sockets and a switch port in the terminal
room.  Scrap everything else.  No computers, no printers, nothing.
Simple and easy.  No need for a guard to stand by.

Printers are needed; as John Klensin noted, being able to print drafts and
other documents helps comprehension of the material.  It also keeps people
productive when the network is unavailable...

I've also used the printers occasionally, to print some reading flight on the return flight (if I didn't bring enough with me). But nevertheless, I think they're more trouble than they're worth.

Why do we need anything more?  Just so that the IETF tourists can read
their email?  Doesn't seem worth the trouble.

Let's not forget that the (vast?) majority of IETF attendees are there at
the expense of their employers; access to email keeps them in touch and
reduces the impact of their absence.  Checking in at night from a hotel room
isn't enough.

Sure -- but the real questions are:
1) how many IETF attendees don't have a laptop with them? Obviously, those who do, don't need the open terminals. 2) how many IETF attendees have a laptop but no wireless card? Close to zero, so for most people, the wired drops in an otherwise empty terminal room only serve as a stable connectivity (i.e., stabler than the wireless) or for emergencies.

I don't think the host should be providing PCs,

Good!

but IMHO a place to sit with
a wireless laptop (and recharge it) and print out the occasional document is
underrated.  Wired connections for laptops are debatable; perhaps a few
tables near the network equipment, but certainly not the entire room.

But if we provide printers, there must be folks to clear the paper jams and other nastiness (most people will have wrong A4/letter settings in any case), provide the thousands of pages of papers which folks use to print out 100-page RFCs and PhD theses, etc.

Maybe it would be interested to have some rough stats from the NOC whether printing is really causing any issues, or whether it's just my imagination and attempt to cut off functions which we absolutely don't need.