Re: Authentication/Session tracking question [was: HTTP/1.1 Protocol: Help Needed

2005-05-12 00:32:42
* Gaurav Vaish:

   Can we have a header called Auth-ID which may perform the task of a
session-ID. Instead of putting in form-data or part-of-URL (which
leads to a must-form-on-every-request) or as cookies (sometimes
disabled, for good reasons as mentioned in thread), we can have it as
a separate header.

Your proposal does not address one of the problems raised in Section
2.2.2 of RFC 2964:

   Similarly, HTTP State Management SHOULD NOT be used to authenticate
   user requests if unauthorized requests might have undesirable side-
   effects for the user, unless the user is aware of the potential for
   such side-effects and explicitly consents to such use.  For example,
   a service which allowed a user to order merchandise with a single
   "click", based entirely on the user's stored "cookies", could
   inconvenience the user by requiring her to dispute charges to her
   credit card, and/or return the unwanted merchandise, in the event
   that the cookies were exposed to third parties.

Nowadays, this is called "Cross-Site Request Forgery", or "Session
Riding".  Standardizing some cookie-lookalike which doesn't address
this problem seems rather pointless to me.