RE: mac layer in manets

2005-06-07 04:10:19

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On
Behalf Of Eric Tomson
Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2005 1:33 PM
To: Prasanna S.J; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: mac layer in manets

Prasanna,

No offense, but...

- The IETF is working on Internet technologies, located at
layers 3 to 7 of the OSI model.

- The IEEE is working on physical technologies, located at
layers 1 to 2 of the OSI model.

- MAC is located at OSI layer 2 of the OSI model. No relation
with IETF.

- And above all, neither IETF nor IEEE should be considered
as newsgroups, knowledge centers, or ask-the-experts mailing lists.

May I remind you that - although it is open to any interested
individual - the IETF is a community of network designers,
operators, vendors, and researchers concerned with the
evolution of the Internet architecture and the smooth
operation of the Internet.

There are plenty of web sites and other Internet resources
out there, where you will find the answers to all your questions.

Imagine if IETF and IEEE had to answer questions asked by
thousands of students/researchers from all
universities/research centers from all countries!!!

If you need further
advice/answers/explanations/help/information/suggestions,
you can contact me personally (I swear I'll not start billing
you before 10 mails ;-).

Eric.

PS: IETF survey : please rate 0%(no)-100%(yes) how much you
agree with the above statements. ;-)

Well, if you asked ...

... I agree 90% with the content
... I agree 10% with the style

We want such people to feel encouraged to come and ask questions from
the IETF community. The content of your first four paragraphs would have
been enough, and could have been drafted in a more friendly manner. If
you really know any of the 'plenty of web sites and other Internet
resources out there' you could add a couple of URLs. Also, IMHO, there
is no need to offer a nine mails free service (yes, I know this was
supposed to be kind of a joke, but such jokes may not be understood the
same way by a young student, or by persons that belong to different
cultures.)

Regards,

Dan