Client and server authentication for email (was: RE: Last Call: 'Email Submission Between Independent Networks' to BCP)

2005-06-11 07:57:06
Christian,

Thanks.

This is, IMO, _exactly_ the sort of explanation and
recommendation that needs to be turned into an I-D titled
something like "Challenge-response over unprotected channels no
longer adequate" and published as a BCP.    It didn't require
very many paragraphs of explanation, it is quite clear, and it
is hugely more helpful than what end up sounding like personal
authority statements of the "I don't like it so you shouldn't
use it" variety.

It may be just my ignorance, but this does raise, for me, some
additional issues.  Perhaps they should be put on the agenda for
discussion in the Apps Area meeting (assuming on is held) in
Paris, since this impacts not just email but just about every
application we have:

        (1) Given the problem you describe, then the key feature
        of digest-MD5 is not the difference in algorithm, but
        the fact that it uses a privacy layer.  That should
        probably be much more clear than it has been in most of
        the "digest-MD5 is better" discussions.

        (2) If the key issue is "be sure you are talking to the
        right server", then one could still use a
        challenge-response mechanism as long as the server were
        properly verified to the client.  Presumably that could
        be accomplished by client possession and verification of
        a server key or by an extra secret and handshake. That
        would presumably be "good enough" unless we also have a
        significant concern about sessions being hijacked once
        they have been properly initiated. I don't know the
        degree to which that is a practical concern (remember
        that SMTP sessions, especially pipelined ones, are
        typically pretty short and that, e.g., IMAP has
        provisions for in-session reverification although I
        believe they are still not intensively used).
        Conversely, if the server identity is not verified, or
        is verified only by the luser's receiving an
        incomprehensible warning message and clicking "accept"
        every time, then even encryption wouldn't seem to help
        much.

        (3) I may no longer fully understand the implications of
        "dictionary attack" and suspect that at least some
        application writers understand it even less well that I
        do.  But, if my understanding is correct, it seems to me
        that, if passwords or passphrases are readily vunerable
        to dictionary attacks, there are other problems and the
        presence of encryption would pose an inconvenience, not
        an obstacle, for the attacker.

Is that correct?

    john

--On Saturday, 11 June, 2005 00:04 -0700 Christian Huitema