Re: Client and server authentication for email

2005-06-12 11:42:01
The problem is that a) of course the security folks cannot do all the security development, but b) they have almost entirely failed to provide the rest of us with the tools and guidance we need. Pure "education" about security issues is
not enough.  We need things that are much more applied.

Dave,

I think this begs the question of whether currently known and deployable security technologies are actually adequate to the task of securing our networks and networked protocols. I don't mean this to sound flippant, but it's not clear to me that they are adequate.

If nothing else, it seems that the diverse and growing set of threats in the Internet environment, coupled with exponential increases in CPU speed per unit cost, force us to teeter on the "bleeding edge" of security technologies - with most users and providers unable to stay balanced on that edge and falling victim to frequent attack.

At any rate, the problem might not be so much a lack of easy-to-use tools and guidance as a lack of technology.

Keith