Re: Client and server authentication for email

2005-06-13 05:52:27
well the RFC Editor does have errata pages now.  this might be
a good  use for them, until such time as corrective RFCs can
be written and  published.

I suggest that, from a process standpoint, if we start deprecating standards-track documents/ recommendations by errata page, we will be in big trouble... or will need a process and bureaucracy equivalent to the IESG for errata page approvals.

I would stop short of deprecating standards via the errata pages. At most they should say that the applicability of the standard is being reconsidered.

However if we find that there are newly discovered risks with using a particular security technology, it does seem prudent to associate that information with the relevant RFCs, and this would be a resource that authors of new documents could consult when deciding which technologies to use.

Keith