Re: Last Call: 'Email Submission Between Independent Networks' to BCP

2005-06-15 16:33:06
On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Dean Anderson wrote:

Had anyone bothered to ask, I would have reported that open relay abuse
has dropped off to nearly nothing since the open relay blacklists shutdown
in 2003.

MXs are routinely probed by relay attempts: we see about 2000-4000 such
attacks each day. A similar volume of relay attempts occurs for machines
named 'mail' or 'smtp'. More obscure mail hosts might see a more
manageable number of attacks, but I still think it is valid for this draft
to state that it is best practice that MTAs must not be configured for
open relaying.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
BISCAY: WEST 5 OR 6 BECOMING VARIABLE 3 OR 4. SHOWERS AT FIRST. MODERATE OR