Re: E-mail address limitations

2005-06-21 08:05:32
In <379A254FE1C43CBB377A1D2D(_at_)[10(_dot_)56(_dot_)209(_dot_)155]> John C
Klensin <john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com> writes:

--On Tuesday, June 21, 2005 15:58 +0200 Age Bosma
<agebosma(_at_)home(_dot_)nl> wrote:

Hi,

Can you tell me, or point me to a resource, what the official
specs are for an e-mail address? I would like to know what the
official limitations are if it comes to allowed characters and
maximum address lenght.

If you are trying to use the addresses to send mail over the public
Internet, RFC2821 contains the authoritative definition.

Age:

I'll just add a few comments to what John said.

RFC2822 also contains a definition of email addresses (mailbox).  The
two RFCs differ slightly because the involve different parts of the
email system.  RFC2822 includes things like comments which you can put
on the To: line, but which are stripped off by the time the email gets
to the RFC2821 part.

But, of course, the real world requirements of email addresses don't
match the RFC because too many systems out there are broken.

If you are trying to create a well behaved system, then following the
RFC is a very good idea.  If you are trying to create a system that
has to deal with the uglier details of the net, you will just have to
do a lot of experimentation.  "Be conservative with what you generate,
be liberal with what you accept."

-wayne