Re: Hawthorne Effect

2005-06-23 10:46:18
On Jun 23, 2005, at 13:03, Steve Crocker wrote:
On Jun 23, 2005, at 12:45 PM, Ned Freed wrote:
For anyone who was sleeping during the relevant Psych 101 lecture, this is
called the Hawthorne effect.
Damn. I knew there was a famous study that identified this effect, but I
couldn't remember the name.

  Doing anything at all gets folk's attention.
The name "Hawthorne Effect" comes from some early work (1927-1932) on organizational measurement done at the Western Electric plant in Hawthorne, Illinois, where management tried to determine optimum levels of factory-floor lighting. Because the employees knew about the study, they responded to each adjustment in light level by increasing productivity.

So maybe we should change around the set of required sections every couple of years just to keep people's attention? :-)

Ken