Re: IANA Considerations

2005-06-23 09:29:07
    Ned> Unfortunately so is the presence of an empty IANA
    Ned> considerations section - you cannot tell the difference
    Ned> between such a section that was arrived as as a result of
    Ned> careful review of the draft and one that was simply created
    Ned> as a form of boilerplate.

It's actually been my experience that the rate of null IANA
considerations sections that should have contained content appears to
be significantly lower than the set of missing IANA considerations
sections when one should have been included.  Based on my perceptions
I do think this requirement is triggering some level of review.

Hardly a ringing endorsement... And this requirement is quite new. It would be
unprecedented if it hadn't triggered some level of initial review in these very
early days. But wait a couple of years for the new to wear off and people being
people will start to handle it as more boilerplate.

Thus
as an individual I support the requirement.  I do not have rigorous
data to support my assertion.

Useful data won't be available for several years at least. Which is why it so
surprising - and ominous - that the problem has already arisen in at least one
document.

                                Ned