Re: IANA Considerations

2005-06-10 04:37:08
Ned Freed <ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com> writes:

Like it or not, careful reviews and review checklists, while quited
flawed in their own right, are the best tool we have. When I was on
the IESG I had my own private review checklist; it was the only
thing I found that worked.

I agree careful reviews are necessary. What I find surprising is your
logic, which seems to say:

  IANA considerations sections in IDs are not sufficient, therefore
  they are useless (or worse).

Is that really what you are advocating? What exactly is it that you
think should be done (in addition to careful reviews) that would help
reduce the odds that the careful review find issues with the IANA
instructions (or lack thereof)?

Note that having IC sections is all about improving the odds that they
contain the Right Thing before the document is approved by the
IESG. In my mind that means:

1) IANA reviews an (essentially) final version, to be sure what it
   says is consistent with their understanding of what needs to be
   carried out. But, IANA does this review during Last Call. Thus, the
   IC section really needs to be complete _before_ the full IETF
   review.

2) Well, the Shepherding AD can do the "careful review" during the AD
   review phase, but there is already plenty of pressure to skimp on
   the AD review in order to send a document the WG says is finished
   to IETF LC ASAP. I.e., to get the IETF LC started and "fix any
   issues that come up later". Plus, in my experience, plenty of IC
   issues are caught by ADs other than the shepherding AD. So relying
   on them to catch all such issues is far from ideal.

3) Voila, have a checklist item that alerts WGs to things they should
   take steps to make sure their documents have already addressed
   prior to advancing a document out of the WG.

Thomas