Re: IANA Considerations

2005-06-09 07:23:08
Brian,

We agree about the desirability of making sure than some things
are explicitly documented and explicitly part of what gets
reviewed.  But I continue to believe, as I have believed for
years, that adding more and more mandatory material to RFCs or
I-Ds is not the best solution to that particular problem.

Perhaps, in line with the PROTO effort (and maybe the ISD
discussion), it is time to revisit the other approach: rather
than cluttering up I-Ds with materials that can be filled out
pro-forma and that the RFC Editor may then remove (or not),
migrate at least some of these procedural requirements
associated with protocol specifications from the I-D to a
"submission checklist" that a WG or individual would provide to
the IESG as part of the request for Last Call and approval
action.   That document could contain, e.g., an explicit
statement as to whether the WG had examined IANA issues and
decided that there were none, rather than just providing pro
forma text or boilerplate, as well as draft protocol action
statements, etc.   The IESG gets more information, in clearer
form, and we don't end up with a choice between information
getting lost and more clutter in RFCs.

Of course, if one were doing ISDs, that text and anything else
that relates to the process and context for approving a
standard, rather than information key to the protocol
specification itself, could, when the spec was approved, be
reasonably be transposed into the ISD.

    john

--On Thursday, 09 June, 2005 11:06 +0200 Brian E Carpenter