Re: IANA Action: Assignment of an IPV6 Hop-by-hop Option

2005-06-24 15:09:55

The following is my personal opinion.

"John" == John Leslie <john(_at_)jlc(_dot_)net> writes:

    >> The "IESG Approval" case is a bit of an escape clause, allowing
    >> for unusual/exceptional situations where getting an RFC
    >> published isn't appropriate or would take too long. So I view
    >> that not as a "normal" way of getting a code point, but one
    >> where there are "extenuating circumstances". The clear
    >> intention is the way to get a HBH code point is to publish an
    >> Internet Draft and bring it to the IETF for proper review.

    John>    I would be happy to see it done that way.

    John>    But I must have missed where in the IESG email it was
    John> suggested to Dr. Roberts that he proceed this way.

We didn't.  We let him know that if he wants to move forward he would
need to move forward this way.  If he does submit an internet draft
I'm sure we will treat it in a fair manner.  That would probably mean
asking the IPV6 working group and the NSIS working group what they
think.

However, we did not ask him to go down that route.  We think we have a
good understanding of how the IETF would react to this proposal if it
were brought to the IETF for review.

What you seme to be saying is that you would be happy if we told
Dr. Roberts to ask for review knowing full well that such a review
would be long, complicated and would probably  end up in a rejection.
Why is it wrong for us to tell him up front that asking for review is
probably going to be a waste of time?

we never said that he could not bring the proposal to the IETF.  We
recommended against it.  But we were careful to distinguish what we
declined (his request) from what we recommended against (forward
progress on this proposal)

I guess if we had not let the world know we were recommending against
this proposal it might have given a false sense of impartiality.  But
the fact is that the IESG will be asked to form a technical opinion on
the merits of the proposal if it is reviewed in the IETF.  I see it as
a good thing that we gave a heads up about the prospect of a positive
review.