Re: IETF 63, visa information

2005-06-24 14:55:54
Liqiang(Larry) Zhu wrote:

Gene, this is great. Can you please ask the French Embassy to extend the
same offer to citizens of PRC and India please? I think we have a lot of
those from these two countries who want to attend IETF63.

Thanks,

-- larry
I will speak with the IETF Secretariat people Monday morning and we will
attempt to obtain a definitive statement for as many countries as possible,
will inform this list quickly as to outcome.

Gene Gaines

-----Original Message-----
From: Gene Gaines [mailto:gene(_dot_)gaines(_at_)gainesgroup(_dot_)com] Sent: Friday, June 24, 2005 2:36 PM
To: Liqiang(Larry) Zhu
Cc: Vijay Devarapalli; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: IETF 63, visa information

Liqiang(Larry) Zhu wrote:

Is it possible to get a waiver for the visa requirements? I think for
IETF61 the visa was waived for all IETF goers.

For IETF61 in Korea, we did not get a waiver.  I obtained a letter from
the Korean Embassy (in English and Korean) explaining IETF61 was a
scientific meeting and a visa is not required for those meeting the
below conditions.

A visa was NOT required for U.S. citizens traveling to Korea providing:

 1)  they were a U.S. citizen and carried a valid U.S. passport,
 2)  were traveling to Korea for the purpose of attending a recognized
          scientific meeting (IETF meetings qualify) and/or tourism,
 3)  would be doing no business or attending business meetings in
Korea,
 4)  would not be acting as an official of the U.S. Government, and
 5)  would be in the country for less than 90 days.

The French Embassy in Washington DC confirmed to me this afternoon that
the same conditions apply for IETF63 in Paris.

That is, U.S. citizens with a valid U.S. passport DO NOT NEED A VISA
to attend IETF63 in Paris (a scientific meeting) providing they do not
also conduct business and stay for less than 90 days.

As with IETF61, it would be good to get a blanket letter from the French
Embassy confirming that IETF63 qualifies for this status.  A copy can be
carried by each traveler.

Visa requirement for citizens of other countries are all different.

Gene Gaines