Getting a visa to Europe (Re: IETF 63, visa information)

2005-06-26 12:03:43

--On 25. juni 2005 00:51 +0100 Fred Baker <fred(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> wrote:

On Jun 24, 2005, at 7:10 PM, Liqiang((Larry)) Zhu wrote:

I also assume it is especially difficult to get the visa for folks who
are not US citizens.

why would that be?

"citizens of countries that are not members of the European Union, but where the European Union suspects that a significant number of people from that country would like to immigrate to Europe" is probably a more accurate description of the class of people who find it difficult to get visas.

From all I hear, the walls of Fortress Europe are still quite a bit lower
than the walls preventing visits to the USA, but the difficulty of getting into Europe (and, I'm sorry to say, Norway) increases in direct proportion to the degree to which European governments see uncontrolled immigration as a problem. (and in my opinion, the so called war on terrorism has NOTHING to do with it).

Do apply for visas as soon as possible, if you need them.

AND - apply for visas for the Canadian meeting in November as soon as you can, too - it is not likely that it's very much simpler than Europe.

The amount of complication that governments' rules create for international cooperation depresses me deeply. But I have little hope for any improvement in the near future.

                      Harald