Re: Act now: Re: IETF 63, visa information

2005-06-27 05:14:48
Brian E Carpenter wrote:

As jfc kindly pointed out, the information on who needs a visa
is conveniently available (in English, Spanish and French)
at http://www.diplomatie.fr/venir/visas/

If a visa is needed, that site leads to a PDF file
of the form and contact details for the relevant consulates.

As others have pointed out, there is a standard way to get
an invitation letter if needed, at
http://www.ietf.org/meetings/invite_letter.html

I strongly advise against waiting for a hypothetical
waiver. If the above site says you need a visa, I advise
applying for it immediately. French bureaucrats are not
known for flexibility.

Hopefully the following information about getting Schengen visa in UK would be useful to others: I've recently applies for Schengen visa to attend IETF in Paris. The invitation letter from France Telecom worked like magic. The only issue with getting visa is how much in advance this has to be done. French Consulate in London uses web booking system (alternatively people can phone, paying £1 a minute), which can only book visa appointments 4-5 weeks in advance. The waiting time in summer can be even worse, but check yourselves.

Getting a letter of invitation was very straightforward once I've paid the IETF attendance fee. I've got my letter by fax and I also got it in mail shortly after.

Regards,

Alexey Melnikov
Isode Mbox Message Store developer

Isode Limited, http://www.isode.com