Re: IANA Action: Assignment of an IPV6 Hop-by-hop Option

2005-06-25 14:11:59
I've been holding off comenting on this issue because in the context of this
mailing list my knowledge of the policies of the IETF and IANA is basically
zero.

The thing is I think Robert is right about the tone and assumed purpose of
this rejection.  It reads like a letter from someone playing favoritism and
trying to discourage a competitor.  When I read it I felt like the tone was
that of a rejection based on predjudice and was basically saying "you're not
invited to this party".  I mean I understand not liking the proposal, but to
say "...the IETF is already actively working on solutions to QOS...We
believe that these efforts will lead to a preferable solution..." - I mean
that's basically saying "we don't have an answer yet, but we feel confident
that when we come up with an answer it will be better than yours" - that's
at best somewhat snobbish I would think and probably not an image anyone
wants to project to the outside world (inside voice and outside voice).

Then there's the last line, which is my personal favorite "We encourage any
interested parties to review the ongoing work within NSIS."  Talk about
redirecting traffic...why not "we encourage all interested parties to view
THIS proposal in conjunction with the ongoing work within NSIS to get a
clearer understanding of why it has been rejected."

Maybe I misread the entire tone of the rejection, but even it's actions are
saying "go away".  If the IETF were just one possibility in a sea of
possibilities for this proposal then fine, tell someone to go away.  The
thing is you own this so like it or not you have to play extra fair because
this autocracy only works as a commonwealth.

Best regards,

Nick Staff