RE: IANA Action: Assignment of an IPV6 Hop-by-hop Option

2005-06-27 05:40:44
I want to clarify something here. IANA is not at fault. It submits requests
like this to IESG to assure that there is consistency in
standards work. In the past there have been attempts to circumvent standards
work that is under way by directly submitting requests
to IANA for assignment. I am not aware of the present status of any
IETF-related work that might consume any or all of the bits in
question in the IPv6 header. Larry has developed a reasonable method for
dealing with flow control even if the payload of the IPv6
packet is encrypted. there may be debates about the method chosen but that
doesn't seem to be the issue here. To avoid conflicts,
Larry is reasonably asking for an assignment.

Vint

Vinton Cerf, SVP Technology Strategy, MCI
22001 Loudoun County Parkway, F2-4115
Ashburn, VA 20147
+1 703 886 1690, +1 703 886 0047 fax
vinton(_dot_)g(_dot_)cerf(_at_)mci(_dot_)com

  _____