Re: IANA Action: Assignment of an IPV6 Hop-by-hop Option

2005-06-27 20:41:59
    Date:        Mon, 27 Jun 2005 09:26:46 -0700
    From:        Barbara Roseman <barbara(_dot_)roseman(_at_)icann(_dot_)org>

  | To address some misunderstandings of IANA's role in this action, [...]

I hadn't actually noted any.   As best I can recall, there neither has
been, nor should be, any criticism of the IANA here.

Dave suggested that perhaps IANA should just ignore the IESG's response
as being patently absurd (which it was) and assign an option code anyway.

I don't think I'd go quite that far - and I don't think many others would.
That would put IANA in an invidious position, that I don't think anyone
really wants to lumber it with, and while the vast majority of the
community might agree with an action like that in this particular case,
the next time IANA were to decide to ignore advice, the response might
not be the same.   So, I believe that IANA did, and continues to do,
everything correctly in this particular case.

The IESG, and its actions, is quite a different issue however.

kre