Re: RFC 2434 term "IESG approval" (Re: IANA Action: Assignment of an IPV6 Hop-by-hop Option)

2005-06-28 05:37:28

--On tirsdag, juni 28, 2005 07:39:35 -0400 John C Klensin <john(_at_)jck(_dot_)com> wrote:

To preview what would otherwise be a discussion on the new I-D,
here we disagree, for two reasons:

        (i) For some registrations, especially those for which
        there are no alternate registration categories and where
        unidentified use of mechanisms might lead to operational
        problems, "IESG approval" may be appropriate, but IESG
        non-approval must never mean "no, you can't register it".

Two examples of "refusal to register"..... and I don't think the distinction between the IESG and a designated expert really matters in order to discuss the principle.

1) The language tag reviewer (a designated expert) rejected the tag "es-americas" after due debate on the ietf-languages mailing list. (Debate led to the same functionality now being registered as "es-419". That namespace also allows for use of "x-" names.)

2) The MIME type reviewer (another designated expert) has steadfastly pushed back on attempts to use what's effectively content transfer encodings as MIME types - the last example is the debate on "yEnc" in USEFOR. (Here, too, x- names are allowed)

In both these cases, I think that the designated experts have been doing their jobs. I have no strong opinion about the IPv6 hop-by-hop header in question. But I don't want to (effectively) remove the ability to refuse registration - I think we'll pay a high price for that later.

                   Harald