Re: RFC 2434 term "IESG approval" (Re: IANA Action: Assignment of an IPV6 Hop-by-hop Option)

2005-06-29 15:27:39
Scott Bradner wrote:
I agree that this would be a reasonable process, but wouldn't that be "IETF Consensus" (an entirely separate choice in RFC 2434 from IESG Approval)?

see RFC 2434 IETF Consensus - New values are assigned through the IETF
           consensus process. Specifically, new assignments are made via
           RFCs approved by the IESG.

note that IETF Consensus specifically requires an RFC approval

on the other hand "IESG Approval" specifically does not require a RFC
      IESG Approval - New assignments must be approved by the IESG, but
           there is no requirement that the request be documented in an
           RFC

so a process by which the IESG determines if the IETF community agrees with a decision to reject an assignment request which is
not done by ID/RFC is not the same thing as "IETF Consensus" in
RFC 2434

fwiw - saying that the IESG should check with the community should
be a simple concept to understand - but maybe I'm wrong

It's not a hard concept. It just isn't mentioned or implied in RFC 2780.

   Brian