Re: RFC 2434 term "IESG approval" (Re: IANA Action: Assignment of an IPV6 Hop-by-hop Option)

2005-06-29 18:49:08
Margaret,

my concerns (and those of others) are a bit different I think. Again, I see what happened as:

1. A non-IETF standard is being developed.
2. The standard is being reviewed by another organization.
3. The group working on the standard requests a code point from IANA

The "IESG review" is the only available process since no technical review is requested within the IETF (both of the other options would seem to imply such a review).

The IESG seems to have reacted by assuming that it had to substitute its judgment for the technical review which is not part of the request, and I think _that was wrong_.

If the IESG concluded that a technical review was needed, then _IETF consensus_ would be appropriate. BUT, in this case my read is that the IESG should _not_ have conducted a technical review, but rather should have limited the review only on whether a code point was available, and whether a hop-by-hop option unknown to most devices would cause any foreseeable problems.

That last point bothers me the most; if a standard is being developed within the framework of another known standards organization and on top of this (in this case) by a known set of engineers, should the IETF not focus on interoperability instead of second-guessing the outside work? I could see how an unknown IPv6 option header could possibly become a problem (although that would point to bad protocol design or implementation, IMHO), so interoperability should be reviewed, but otherwise I _cannot_ see how the _content_ of the option could harm a device that does not want to deal with it.