RE: Should the IESG rule or not? and all that...

2005-07-01 16:23:26
I think it is a matter of who determines "rough consensus".  It is
actually very hard to determine and prove - after all I don't want a
straight up/down vote (lets go give a copy of Roberts Rules of Order to
every WG chair to run their WGs by) to determine rough consensus -
sometimes it is the ONE person that deeply understands the issue voting
one way against a herd of people that is indeed correct - once the
analysis is done.

I believe it is the IESGs job to:
1) Determine that all the processes are followed
2) To the best of their ability - determine and come to consensus on
what the "rough consensus" is on an issue
3) Follow up with the working group/individual submitter on how their
determination of rough consensus might be different from what is said
in the draft they are evaluating

So yes, a few times it may look like the IESG is imposing unreasonable
technical decisions into a discussion.  However - I believe it is
mainly a case of making sure that they believe that the processes were
correctly followed and giving weight to the factors that affect their
determination of consensus.

Bill