Re: Should the IESG rule or not? and all that...

2005-07-05 06:00:58
John,

John C Klensin wrote:
However, consider instead the situation we find ourselves in. The IESG, at least in the interpretation as given on this list by some of its members, has said, essentially, "We have concluded that this requires technical review within the IETF before it is registered. We have the 'right' to decide whether such review occurs or not, and we have decided to not arrange for it. Therefore, the registration request is rejected and you lose."

This *really* is a travesty of what the IESG said. There's nothing
in the BCPs in force that requires the IESG to arrange for a review
and there's nothing in the IESG response that prevents a review.

What the IESG did choose to do was to *express an opinion*. Some
people seem to object to that.

    Brian