Re: IANA Considerations

2005-07-06 18:05:37
 Date: 2005-07-06 16:16
 From: Joe Touch <touch(_at_)isi(_dot_)edu>

  Ned Freed wrote:

This is exactly what I predicted would happen - the IANA considerations
section
has now become part of the boilerplate in at least one I-D template.
(Actually
make that two - I put in in my own equivalent template some time back.)

You can make it three: mine says:

   This memo adds no new IANA considerations.  The presence of this
   template text indicates that the author/editor has not actually
   reviewed IANA considerations.

and there's similar text for internationalization and security.

This helps a lot less than you'd think. Lots of documents start out with no
IANA considerations. Then somewhere along the way they acquire some. The
tendency is going to be to change the text to say "no considerations" the very
first thing, and after that not bother to check. I suspect this is what happen
in the case of the MMS document, as a matter of fact - the header registry came
online between the time the document was first written and when it was
approved, which changed the situation from one where there weren't IANA
considerations to one where there were some.

People aren't machines, and it is mistake to expect them to behave like
machines.

                                Ned