Re: IANA Considerations

2005-07-07 23:24:45
On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
RFC 2434 doesn't discuss null IANA sections at all.

Right.  The requirement for null IANA Considerations sections first
appeared in the May 2004 version of http://www.ietf.org/ID-Checklist.html,
without prior notice to the community.

RFC2434bis does discuss them, and we will need to form consensus
about whether the RFC Editor is required to retain them, as we
discuss RFC2434bis. Which we need to do fairly soon.

In what venue will this discussion take place?  While I can
understand the value (to the IANA) of a null IANA Considerations
section in an Internet Draft, I'm strongly opposed to having them
appear in published documents.

Mike Heard