Re: IANA Considerations

2005-07-06 13:32:14
This opens the door to the author forgetting to check and the various
reviewers assuming the prsence of the sections means a check was done.

The goal of putting it in the template is to encourage it be addressed,
rather than forgotten altogether.

I am well aware of what the goal is, and have been from the beginning of
this discussion.

There has never been disagreement as to the goal, only as to the best means to
achieve it. I have asserted that requiring IANA considerations sections in
drafts submitted for publication is at best useless and potentially quite
harmful, and that the best way to insure coverage of IANA issues is to have an
explicit check for such things as part of our review process.

I also predicted that two things would happen: (1) A draft containing IANA
considerations and an empty IANA considertions section would be approved and
(2) That this section would take on the status of boilerplate in some draft
templates. Both predictions have now come to pass.

                                Ned