Re: IANA Considerations

2005-07-06 11:56:14
On Jul 6, 2005, at 8:15 AM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> RFC 2434 doesn't discuss null IANA sections at all. RFC2434bis does
> discuss them, and we will need to form consensus about whether the RFC
> Editor is required to retain them, as we discuss RFC2434bis. Which we
> need to do fairly soon.

In my "new internet draft" template, I have some stock text, which I
change in the event that I actually need to assign a number to
something or create a registry. It reads:

<section anchor="IANA" title="IANA Considerations">
<t>This document makes no request of the IANA.</t>
<t>Note to RFC Editor: in the process assigning numbers and building
IANA registries prior to publication, this section will have served its
purpose.  It may therefore be removed upon publication as an RFC.</t>
</section>

This is exactly what I predicted would happen - the IANA considerations section
has now become part of the boilerplate in at least one I-D template. (Actually
make that two - I put in in my own equivalent template some time back.)

This opens the door to the author forgetting to check and the various
reviewers assuming the prsence of the sections means a check was done.

Personally, I can't imagine why we need anything more complex or
legal-in-form than that.

What's require is already way too much.

                                Ned