Re: IANA Considerations

2005-07-06 11:41:58

On Jul 6, 2005, at 11:20 AM, Ned Freed wrote:
This is exactly what I predicted would happen - the IANA considerations section has now become part of the boilerplate in at least one I-D template. (Actually make that two - I put in in my own equivalent template some time back.)

This opens the door to the author forgetting to check and the various reviewers assuming the prsence of the sections means a check was done.

I suppose. That said, if IANA considerations was *not* built into the boilerplate, it would have a high likelihood of being omitted.

This argument is a little like saying that the Security considerations is part of the boilerplate and therefore Security will not be considered even if the document says it was considered. Good grief. The purpose of the IANA section is to make IANA's job easier - if there is something to allocate, they have to read the relevant parts of the document anyway, but if there is nothing for them to consider, they can be told that up front. Given all the work we put into reviews, is it really likely that this will not be reviewed?