Re: [newtrk] Question about Obsoleted vs. Historic

2005-07-11 04:56:19
On Mon July 11 2005 02:54, john(_dot_)loughney(_at_)nokia(_dot_)com wrote:

This really made me scratch my head. One would imagine if a protocol is
obsoleted
by another, it would not be listed as a Draft Standard any longer.

What is the reason for continuing to list something obsolete as a Draft
Standard?

Lack of action by the IESG.  The RFC Editor maintains the rfc-index, and
as far as I can tell does a good job of handling the updates/obsoletes/
updated by/obsoleted by information.  Moving an RFC from the Standards
Track to Historic, however, requires a Standards Action which has to
be approved by the IESG per BCP 9, either as part of the review process
(section 6.2) which the IESG ignores, or per section 6.4.  In practice
moving a document to Historic only seems to happen as a result of a rather
complicated process where somebody writes yet another RFC suggesting a
reclassification of some RFC as Historic, which if approved leads to
the Standards Action (see draft-lear-newtrk-decruft-experiment-00.txt).

Other cases include full Standards which have been obsoleted, such as
STD 10 and STD 11.