RE: Question about Obsoleted vs. Historic

2005-07-11 03:22:52
Nick,

The way I understand it, an RFC is only historic(al) if the technology it
defines is no longer in use.

Well, as Iljitsch mail pointed out, some things (3152 Delegation of IP6.ARPA)
are moved to Historic when the IETF wants people to stop using them ...'

An obsolete RFC means the technology is still being used, but some part of
the specification (obsolete RFC) has been updated.  An obsolete RFC can
still be a standard as the RFC that obsoletes it may not change the protocol
at all.  One example of this is RFC 3912 which is the RFC that obsoletes
your example (RFC 954) - read 3192's abstract for more detail.

This is of course only my understanding.

If only part has been updated, then the RFC doing the update should say 'Updates
RFC xyz', I think ...

John