RE: Question about Obsoleted vs. Historic

2005-07-11 22:04:11
Ted,

I've assumed that it was to tell you it was at Draft Standard when the
document
that replaced it was issued.  That way you can tell whether the new doc is
a recycle-in-grade, an update to get something to the next step, or a
downgrade.
The real meat of the data here, though, is that you should look at 3912 if
you want the current spec.  Any other data about an obsolete spec is for
historical interest only.  If I'm right, that could be made clearer (by saying
"Status when active:" or some such), but that doesn't really change meat of
the
information.

I'd strongly suggest some tag to indicate that its no longer active. In many
cases,
a Standard is marked Obsolete because it has been updated for some reason; often
times because of some critical bug or other issues.  I don't think the IETF
wants to recommend an obsolete standard as something folks should go and
implement.

John