Sarcarm and intimidation

2005-07-20 09:35:31

the Internet is composed of Autonomous Systems, and they take the
first word of the name very seriously. I suspect ISP accountability
in China, for example, may be as successful as copyright enforcement
in that region.

Everyone has a common interest in keeping the Internet.

Thus far law enforcement outside the US have arrested and prosecuted
considerably more suspected Internet criminals than the US.

Most countries are anxious to avoid becoming the next Nigeria. Those 419
scams do not help the country attract foreign investment.

Maybe we would all be happier if you decided to not waste your time
arguing with the folks in "this forum," since we are so out of touch
and irrelevant to the future of network security, at least as defined
by the practitioners who appear to emphasize the appearance of
security over security per se.

You appear to assume that nobody is interested in trying any approach
other than those that have thus far failed to gain widespread adoption
and use.

I am sure the majority of the people in this forum would prefer to look
at ways of securing the Internet to protect against the real internet
criminals stealing pensioners' life savings rather than continuing to
pursue deployment of IPSEC which in its current form would not have the
slightest effect on the crimes that are being perpetrated.

The end-to-end absolutist approach to Internet security has been
attempted in this forum for 20 years. The results do little to recommend
the theory. There is not one example of successful deployment of system
built to that architecture. By deployment here I mean used, not simply
shelfware.

It is time to consider the possibility that alternative approaches might
be valid at the very least.

If someone with a thinner skin than myself made that sugestion they
might actually act on your advice. I really do not think that is
something that Brian wants to see.

There would probably be a lot more people working in the IETF who share
my views if they did not meet with sarcasm, patronising remarks and
intimidation. My views are no longer considered to be either radical or
out of the mainstream in the security practitioner field.