RE: Sarcarm and intimidation

2005-07-21 06:23:49
My point here was that Steve Kent asked 'why does nobody else here seem
to share your views'.

My answer was that they might well have taken the advice that Steve gave
that anyone who disagrees with him should give up on persuading anyone
in this forum and go elsewhere.

Two and a half thousand years ago a dispute arose in a Greek city on the
Mediterranean concerning the nature of knowledge. One side said that
knowledge should be based on observations and that these are primary.
The other side said that pure reason was supreme and started making
obscure metaphors about caves.

The intellectual successors of Plato's faction gave us the dark ages,
fascism and communism, argument from authority trumps all else. The
intellectual successors of Aristotle's faction gave us the renaissance,
science, medicine, engineering.

Empirical observation of the state of Internet security trumps argument
from authority in my view.

The state of Internet security does not justify the type of rhetorical
attacks being made.