RE: Sarcarm and intimidation

2005-07-21 09:56:33

From: Keith Moore [mailto:moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu]

The reason that there is no consensus in the spam area is that most
proposed "solutions" are claiming to solve the whole problem (or at
least a big chunk of it) but are grossly overstating their
applicability.  To some degree this is because people want to
have the
prize of creating _the_ anti-spam solution, which is
counterproductive.

You are absolutely right here.

The problem is at least made worse by the fact that the first thing that
happens when a focussed proposal is made people start saying 'That is no
good, the [bad guys] will just do X'.

And if you do attempt to advance a comprehensive strategy such as
accountability you get the standard agenda denial tactics.

If we instead look at each of the proposals and say "what  does this
do
well, and what does it not do well", then modify the proposals so that

they can work well together (and to get rid of the harm that  several
of
the proposals would do to the email system if widely adopted), then we

will be able to identify the missing pieces.

Somehow the statement 'we will not design an X' gets turned into 'we
will not even talk to the Xs that are already designed and deployed'.