Re: Sarcarm and intimidation

2005-07-21 08:28:30
Please don't reuse the word "security" for all three of these issues. They're very different. I agree that the IETF should do more against spam and DDoS. The trouble with spam is that there is simply no consensus to be reached, and the IETF doesn't have any mechanisms to move forward when there is a long-term lack of consensus.

The reason that there is no consensus in the spam area is that most proposed "solutions" are claiming to solve the whole problem (or at least a big chunk of it) but are grossly overstating their applicability. To some degree this is because people want to have the prize of creating _the_ anti-spam solution, which is counterproductive.

If we instead look at each of the proposals and say "what does this do well, and what does it not do well", then modify the proposals so that they can work well together (and to get rid of the harm that several of the proposals would do to the email system if widely adopted), then we will be able to identify the missing pieces.

So despite being a bad precedent, it's good that Microsoft is throwing its weight around in this area.

As far as I can tell this is just adding to the confusion, and delaying a solution. People are asking "will it be Microsoft?" and therefore failing to realize that they are no closer to a solution than anyone else.

Keith