"IETF servers aren't for testing"

2005-08-05 00:45:06
Hi,

Yesterday in the plenary in response to a request for making the IETF servers IPv6-capable, I believe Leslie said we shouldn't use IETF servers for testing.

In and of itself I fully agree with that statement. However, the assumption that IPv6 is an experimental protocol and enabling it on the various IETF servers should be considered "testing" isn't exactly a glowing endorsement of 10 years of IETF work.

It sounds distasteful, but we should really be eating your own dog food.

Limiting myself to the www.ietf.org webservers (yes, this address points to two different hosts) it appears this site runs on:

Server: Apache/2.0.46 (Red Hat)
Server: Apache/2.0.40 (Red Hat Linux) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.0.40 OpenSSL/ 0.9.7a

Even though these Apache versions are 2 - 3 years old (with many vulnerabilities found and fixed in the mean time), they're fully capable of supporting IPv6, as are Red Hat Linux versions of around the same age.

It would be a nice way to mark 7 years of RFC 2460 (or 10 years of RFC 1883, both were published in december) and the closing of the IPv6 wg with addition of IPv6 to at least the IETF WWW servers.

(BTW a big "yuck" for being behind two-faced DNS here at the IETF meeting venue.)