One and a half points (was: Re: "IETF servers aren't for testing")

2005-08-07 02:52:48
Well, actually, there's one other point ...

IEEE 802 is meeting in Vancouver the week after IETF 64, so there will be double-heading whether we ever try to hook up with NANOG (or the moral equivalent of NANOG), and

I don't think I've EVER seen as many spouses at an IETF as I did last week, and I KNOW I've never seen as many children at an IETF. I ran into Dave and Susan Meyer at a Cafe BoF near the Eiffel Tower on Friday afternoon, and I'm thinking the spouses aren't going to be nearly the problem we thought previously...

So, I think doubling up would be a lot more fatal for delegates than for spouses/family members. Aaron's family ditched us like a hot rock, and Aaron put a note on the IETF list looking for people to go play with wife and daughters this week, so I BET we can delegate this problem and have it solved :-)

OK, make that a couple of other points. The other is from my rave in Newtrk - we're making choices that are more attractive for standards professionals and less attractive for development engineers, and then wondering why we don't care as much about running code as we used to (http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg36822.html).

I really like the idea of closer working relationships with NOGs (and there are several to choose from, but that's another issue) - we need to figure out how to do that effectively, without accidentally turning IETF participantion into more of a full-time job for most people than it is now...

Spencer

From: "Harald Tveit Alvestrand" <harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no>

--On fredag, august 05, 2005 16:10:49 -0700 Ole Jacobsen <ole(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> wrote:

Could this perhaps be an opportunity for the operations community (read
NANOG) to work with the standards community (read IETF)?

Maybe they could even, gasp, meet jointly or nearby in time/place...?

I know, I know, radical thinking but...

some of us have thought of the idea of a 10-day NANOG+IETF bash and shuddered..... the delegates might like it, but their spouses might not...