Re: Why have we gotten away from running code?

2005-08-07 04:35:19

But that's specifically what "proposed" is for (currently).  "Here's
something we think we want to make a standard -- now test it".

The problem with this notion is two-fold:

(1) Almost all protocols stay at "Proposed".

(2) The impact is particularly profound if there are multiple candidate protocols in a working group. If we had the model, "let's make all viable candidates Proposed Standards and then re-convene in a year to see which one worked best", there would be a basis to the deferred implementation experience.

In most cases, the chosen protocol works well enough, if necessary after an RFCxyz-bis round ("with enough thrust, anything flies"), but we don't seem to do a good job in using early implementation experience to guide our choice.

On the positive side, it should be noted that the NSIS working group just had a pre-IETF interop event with 5 implementations, even before working group last call on the main specs. From what I gather, these have been quite useful in confirming the implementability of the spec and in ferreting out some remaining issues. In that case, there were no competing protocol proposals, however.

Henning