Re: Why have we gotten away from running code?

2005-08-07 10:43:31
grenville armitage wrote:
I wonder if absence of running code, and the apparently weakened
impact of running code on WG debate when there is some, is contributing
to drawn-out document development?

That's an excellent point.  To a great extent
we suffer from what the FreeBSD community calls
"bikeshed" (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/misc.html#BIKESHED-PAINTING)
and while I think it's excellent that people are
providing input in areas not exactly their own
implementation experience can help filter discussion
and assist the decision-making process.  I'll note
that just because something's been implemented doesn't
mean it's a good design (or even a design at all), and
I wouldn't agree with "always prefer something that's
been implemented", but I do agree that there's no
substitute for implementation experience as one input
into the process.

Melinda