Re: Why have we gotten away from running code?

2005-08-07 06:28:42
On 8/7/05, Jeroen Massar <jeroen(_at_)unfix(_dot_)org> wrote:
Maybe there should be requirement that before having going to Last Call
there should at least be 2 separate implementations when a document is
created by a working group?

The Routing Area is debating having this rule.  Right now, the rules
laid down in RFC1264 include

   1) Documents specifying the Protocol and its Usage.  The
      specification for the routing protocol must be well written such
      that independent, interoperable implementations can be developed
      solely based on the specification.  For example, it should be
      possible to develop an interoperable implementation without
      consulting the original developers of the routing protocol.

The best evidence for "...possible to develop..." is, of course,
another implementation.

Our draft update for 1264 is draft-fenner-zinin-rtg-standard-reqts-00 .

  Bill