Re: Why have we gotten away from running code?

2005-08-07 15:33:07
Melinda,
Fully true. When you consider it, instead of talking of "running code" we should in fact talk of "used code". BCP are becoming the architectural key because they document the brainware: the way people use the technology to network together. Real experimentation needs to therefore be carried "live" on the Internet. ICANN called for this kind of experimentation by the global internet community, and defined its terms (ICP-3 document in 2001).

ICP-3 suggests that IETF shares in organising this experimentation. I repeatedly recalled it, but the comment I usually received was that it is not the role of IETF. We organised a test bed for two years with people from many places. Based upon this first experience, a new and more simply organised network test bed project is underway, open to all (Unitry). All the cooperations are welcome: the target is a mailing list of participating testing teams, with online resources and a charter accepted in common. It will be what the participants will make of it.
jfc